The facets in the periodic table space not stable other than the noble gases. Therefore, elements shot to react with other elements, to obtain the noble gas electron configuration to accomplish stability. Likewise, sodium additionally has to get an electron to achieve the electron configuration of the noble gas, Neon. All nonmetals react with sodium forming sodium ions. Other than some similarities, salt atom and sodium ion has different physical and also chemical properties as result of the readjust of one electron.
You are watching: How do a sodium atom and a sodium ion differ
Sodium, which symbolized as Na is a team 1 element with the atomic number 11. Sodium has actually properties the a group 1 metal. The atomic weight of it is 22.989. The electron construction is 1s2 2s2 2p6 3s1. Sodium is the an initial element in the 3rd period, therefore the electrons have started come fill right into orbital 3. Salt exists as a silvery color solid. Yet sodium reacts very rapidly v oxygen when it is exposed come air, for this reason makes an oxide coating in dull color. Sodium is soft enough to cut by a knife, and as soon as that cuts, the silvery shade disappears due to the oxide layer formation. Thickness of sodium is reduced than that of water, so that floats in water while intensely reacting. Sodium provides a excellent yellow flame when burns in the air. Boiling suggest of sodium is 883 °C, and also the melting suggest is 97.72 °C. Sodium has numerous isotopes. Amongst them, Na-23 is most abundant v the loved one abundance of roughly 99%. Sodium is vital element in living systems to maintain osmotic balance, for nerve advertise transmission and also so on. Salt is also used to synthesize various other chemicals, essential compounds, soap and for salt vapor lamps.
When sodium atom publication its valence electron to one more atom, it develops a monovalent (+1) cation. It has an digital configuration of 1s2 2s2 2p6, which is comparable to the digital configuration the neon. Remove of one electron indigenous this is hard; therefore, the ionization energy is very high (4562 kJ·mol−1). Electronegativity of salt is very low (according to the Pauling’s scale it is around 0.93), allowing it to kind cations by donating one electron come a higher electronegative atom (like halogens). Therefore, sodium regularly makes ionic compounds.
What is the difference in between Sodium Atom and Sodium Ion?
• Sodium ion has acquired a stable digital configuration by offering out one electron native the sodium atom. Therefore, sodium ion has one electron less than the salt ion.
• In other words, the valence shell/ last covering of sodium atom has only one electron. But in salt ion the last shell has 8 electrons.
• Sodium ion has a +1 charge whereas salt atom is neutral.
• Sodium atom is really reactive; therefore, i will not ~ find cost-free in nature. The exists as sodium ion in a compound.
• Because that the release of one electron, the salt ion radius different from the atomic radius.
• Sodium ion is attractive to negatively fee electrodes, but sodium atom is not.
• The very first ionization energy of salt atom is very low compared to the ionization energy of salt +1 ion.