How to readjust the Engine Oil in a 4.6L or 5.4L F-150
Oil changes are compelled at particular intervals come ensure the longevity of her engine. Expanding oil readjust intervals or neglecting to have your engine oil readjusted will ultimately an outcome in premature engine failure. If friend have minimal mechanical experience, the is encourage you discover from watching a jar mechanic do the task, as simple as it may seem. Do an oil adjust per the manufacturer recommended intervals, which have the right to be uncovered in her owner\"s manual. (3,000 miles/6 month or 5,000 miles/8 months is common, however it counts on the vehicle). High usage vehicles may benefit from much more frequent oil changes.
You are watching: 2006 ford f150 oil capacity 5.4
Applicable design Years: 1997 - 2010 Ford F-150 (4.6L and also 5.4L engines) Engine Oil Filter part Number*: Motorcraft FL820S (Motorcraft FL400S for certain 4.6L Windsor engines, check out footnote) 4.6L Engine Oil Capacity: 6 qts w/ filter (U.S. Quarts) 5.4L Engine Oil Capacity: 6 qts w/ filter 1997 - 2003 version years, 7 qts w/ filter 2004 - 2010 model years (U.S. Quarts) 1997 - 1999 Engine Oil Viscosity: SAE 5W-30 (full synthetic) 2000 - 2010 Engine Oil Viscosity: SAE 5W-20 (full synthetic) *Certain design year 4.6L engines supplied oil filter p/n FL400S; inspect filter part number or describe owners manual. FL820S and FL400S filters room NOT interchangeable.
• The correct oil viscosity is detailed on the oil fill tube. If it is eligible or missing, describe the viscosity specs above. Girlfriend will require 6 quarts of oil for every 4.6L engines and 1997 come 2003 model year 5.4L engines. 2004 come 2010 model year 5.4L engines need 7 quarts the engine oil. Constantly refer to your owners hands-on to verify oil specifications for her vehicle.
• find the oil fill cap in the engine just on the passenger next valve cover. Ease the oil to fill cap however do not remove (sometimes this help the oil drain quicker).
• place an oil drain container in ~ the drainpipe plug ~ above the engine oil pan. If your oil drainpipe plug is situated on the next of the oil pan, girlfriend will must position the so the the oil lands in the container and also not the soil (it will have actually a propensity to shoot out rather than drainpipe straight down).
• remove the drain plug using a boxed finish wrench or socket - do not effort to eliminate the drainpipe plug through an open end wrench as it will certainly strip easily.
• because motor oil is a hazardous material, that is recommended that you wear latex/oil resistant gloves.
• if the oil is draining, clean the oil drainpipe plug v a lint free rag. Do not use solvents.
• when the offered oil has drained completely, reinstall the drain plug. Hand tighten the plug as much as feasible to get rid of cross threading. If the oil pan threads are stripped, the entire oil pan will need to be removed in stimulate to change or repair it properly. As soon as hand tightened, finishing tightening the drain plug with a wrench/socket. For sure the plug is snugged down - execute no overtighten.
• Reposition the oil container under the oil filter or proper filter drainpipe channel if equipped. Many 4.6L/5.4L fitted trucks have an oil filter drain slide located above the center of the former axle.
• eliminate the oil filter by unscrewing that from the engine block. ~ above 4.6L/5.4L engines, the filter is located on the driver next of the engine block and also is finest accessed by crawling under the vehicle and also reaching upwards. It might seem challenging to access, yet after a couple of oil changes you will gain the hang of it. One oil filter wrench might be offered to assist you however, if the filter was installed correctly, it need to come turn off by hand. Effectively dispose the the oil filter. A plastic zip loc layout bag is normally accepted for recycling purposes. If that is tight and also you are unable to access it with an oil filter wrench, try wrapped a item of sandpaper (we usage emery cloth) about the filter. Friend can typically grip the sandpaper far better than the canister itself, specifically if it is oily.
• Clean the oil filter mounting surface ar with a clean, lint cost-free rag, ensuring the the old filter gasket is not stuck come the mounting surface. Do not usage solvents. Be sure the surface ar is clean before continuing.
• Prepare your new replacement oil filter by using a tiny amount of new motor oil come the oil filter gasket (the rubber o-ring an installed to the surface of the brand-new filter). Using your finger, obstacle the oil approximately the gasket till it is fully lubricated (this is vital to getting a an excellent seal).
• If you would like, you might fill the new filter v 1 quart of new motor oil. This action is not required, though part speculate it avoids dry beginning after an altering the engine oil. The is difficult to install a fill oil filter once it is mounted horizontally top top the engine block without spilling. We favor to, in ~ minimal, \"wet\" the filter by filling it v ~1/2 a quart of fresh oil.
• with the gasket appropriately lubricated, install the new oil filter in the same fashion you gotten rid of it. Perform not use an oil filter wrench come tighten the filter. Snug the filter so that it seat tightly against the mounting surface. Over there is no need to overtighten the filter, simply tighten the as much as possible by hand. You should have the ability to remove the filter through hand in ~ your following oil adjust if that was set up properly (some stamin required).
• with the oil drain plug and brand-new oil filter installed, it is time to include your new engine oil. Remove the oil fill cap and stick a clean, oil for sure funnel into the to fill neck. Slowly poor in the forced amount of brand-new engine oil.
• ~ you have filled the engine v oil, reinstall the oil to fill cap.
• traction the dipstick and also verify the engine oil level. If the oil level is low, dual check the you offered the correct amount.
See more: Come On Get Higher Song Meaning S, Come On Get Higher Lyrics Meaning
• inspect for leaks about the oil filter drainpipe plug, then begin the truck. The oil press gauge have to travel to normal within 5 come 10 seconds, otherwise something to be done incorrectly and there is a problem. Use a flashlight to examine for leaks about the oil filter.
barisalcity.org is not affiliated with nor endorsed by Ford Motor company or any kind of manufacturer mentioned herein, uneven explicitly provided otherwise.