Changing your Jeep\"s oil is a pretty basic job the anyone can do at home in the driveway. Act it you yourself not just saves friend a few bucks, yet gives girlfriend a opportunity to visually inspect other things on her Jeep at the very same time. And when you execute it yourself, you can rest easy knowing the job is done right and with the specific parts or fluids of your choosing. Depending on your Jeep, whether you\"ve installed a lifted supsension or not, you may even be able to tackle this project without any jacks and also jack stand or driveway ramps. And is some cases you can even do this project without raising your Jeep also if the suspension is fully stock. I\"ll be utilizing a lift, just to do the project of taking pictures easier, but really all you require for this project is a few hand tools.
You are watching: 1999 jeep grand cherokee oil change
What You will Need
6 quarts that 5W-30 (Preferred) or 10W-30 (depending ~ above the temperature variety anticipated prior to your next oil change) Ratchet13mm SocketOil Filter SocketDrain PanShop Towels / file Towels--- not essential - but valuable ---Rubber GlovesFunnel
Before working on your Jeep, constantly park on a level surface, put it in park and collection the parking break. It\"s constantly a good idea come chock the wheel to it is in extra safe whenever functioning under her Jeep.
Before beginning to change the oil, run the engine for a few minutes to warmth the engine oil. This will aid the oil flow easier and quicker.
According to the owner\"s manual, 5W-30 is the wanted oil because that both the 4.7L and also the 4.7L High output engines and also is finest for environmental operating temperatures listed below 100ºF. If you live in one area that sees external temperatures over 100ºF then you should use 10W-30.
1. Remove the oil filler lid to help allow all the oil to drain from the engine better.
2. Remove the oil filler baffle from within the oil filler neck.
3. Using a 13mm socket, remove the drainpipe bolt indigenous the bottom the the oil pan.
4. Allow the oil to drain into a pan. Store some document towels nearby by to clean up any kind of spills or drips and to wipe off any oil that might splash onto her exhaust. After the oil has actually finished draining, change the drainpipe bolt and torque come 25 ft lbs. (Hand tightening functions perfectly fine for the drainpipe bolt if you don\"t have a torque wrench.)
5. Using her oil filter wrench, remove the old oil filter.
The Mopar oil filter illustrates the measures for installing your brand-new oil filter.
6. Clean and also inspect the oil filter sealing surface ar to be certain there\"s no corrosion or debris the may reason a bad seal top top the new filter.
7. Lubricate the seal top top your brand-new oil filter v a few drops the clean engine oil.
8. Install the new filter on come the engine block. Hand tighten the filter.
9. Using one oil filter wrench, tighten the filter 1 an ext revolution previous hand tight.
10. Using a funnel, refill the engine with oil. The 4.7L engine calls for 6 Quarts the oil. If you\"re making use of a 5 Quart jug, don\"t forget to include one added quart.
11. Clean off and also re-install the oil filler baffle the you gotten rid of earlier.
12. Clean off the oil cap, climate lubricate the oil seal top top the cap through a couple of drops that clean motor oil. This will assist make removing your oil cap throughout your following oil change much easier.
See more: Hydrogen Gas Is Passed Over Hot Copper Ii Oxide, When Hydrogen Gas Is Passed Over Heated Copper
13. The overhead Electronic vehicle Information center or EVIC for brief keeps track of once it\"s time to finish an oil change. Be sure to reset the company interval after ~ completing your oil change so you\"ll be reminded as soon as it\"s time to adjust it again. Through the Jeep in park (the an essential can be in the on place with or there is no the engine running) push the STEP button until the company message shows up on screen. Then press and hold the RESET switch for a couple of seconds. The EVIC will certainly beep and reset. The EVIC deserve to be programmed come different business intervals relying on your driving behavior by utilizing the MENU switch when the Jeep is in park.